Monday, October 3, 2011

Homeopathy? I Don't Think So.


I think the concept of homeopathy contradicts with the current science. The dogma that “like cures like” sounds irrational to me. In my opinion, this belief is absurd. It’s almost like you are saying that “fire can distinguish fire.” If this notion turns out to be true, we will have to redraw the rules of physics, chemistry and biology. In addition to that, I think homeopathic medicine only works in a placebo effect. It gives patients false hope that they are being healed physically. However, I think homeopathy only cures patients psychologically, making them believe that the substance they intake have therapeutic effect and will ease them from their sickness. There have been numerous amounts of scientists who try to prove the effectiveness of homeopathy in hope to discover a scientific break through as well as to win a million dollars James Randi bet against homeopathic medicine. Thus, the scientists try to conduct an experiment to prove homeopathy’s effectiveness. Nevertheless, as predicted, most experiment results in failure and debunk the theory that homeopathy is effective. However, there are some successes in few experiments. But, the scientists, who support homeopathy and thus may be subjective and bias toward the result, have conducted the experiments. The results there fore are not reliable and hence, I do not think that homeopathy is scientifically valid. If a doctor prescribed homeopathy to me, I would be suspicious and will eventually laugh it off because I find it funny how doctors would try to lure me into buying something that is not effective. Just for entertainment, I will probably inquire the doctors’ opinion toward the effectiveness of homeopathy and their substantiation. In addition to that, I will also ask the doctors about the side effect of homeopathy. I have a friend who uses homeopathy before. She thinks that it tastes sweet. But other than its delicious flavor, she does not think it helps her physically. However, it consoles her psychologically at the thought of at least being treated with something. I think homeopathy is different to some types of treatment for allergies. In a conventional treatment, allergy is mostly treated by antihistamines and steroids, which generally work for suppressing the symptom. Instead of giving an “antihistamines” that quell the swelling and vasodilation, homeopathy induce the symptom by giving a patient with a minute doses of the same allergen, which is the causative factor. This type of treatment frightens me because instead of stopping the allergic reaction, the homeopathic doctors are catalyzing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment